Friday, June 24, 2011

Pearson 4 Road Trip - 06/20 Colorado Springs - Peckham, OK

Aunt Carole's Journal:

Good morning – Well, we are starting home today.  It has been a wonderful vacation.  Seems we might have some rainy weather, but we have been very fortunate in having good weather. 

Left Colorado Springs at 10:42 (MDST) – Kyce got his Colorado license so he is all legal again.  We left him a happy camper.  He will be glad to be home again in November.

Oh my, 8 deer just went across in front of camper in front of us.  Actually 6 went across and 2 went the other way.  Jean says they are probably over with the other deer now.

Stormy weather – rain, wind.  Girls are doing a good job driving, but it sure is rough.  Be glad when we get out of it.  Weather cleared up just about Hays, Kansas.  We saw 3-bladed windmills about 35 miles west of Salina; seems to be 200 or more.  We also went thru a dirt storm about the same time.  Glad that didn’t last very long.  Stopped for Schlotzsky’s at Salina, KS, then on toward home….or I should say Peckham.  Sandy on cell says really lightening.  Think girls are ready for day to end.  We will stay at Jean’s tonight and then on to Tulsa tomorrow.

WONDERFUL TRIP!!

Debbie's comments:

This is the last blog for an amazing trip.  We have all had a great time and consider it a once-in-a-life time trip.  We have traveled a total of 4,480 miles.  When we started the trip, we considered ourselves "Road Warriors".  As we end the trip, we lovingly/laughingly consider ourselves the "Road Weariers".  We have a lot of great memories, seen some amazing things, traveled through 10 states, and, believe it or not, already discussed what our next trip should be. 

We started the morning with Delma and Kyce heading to the DMV to get Kyce's Colorado license.  Delma had great optimism they would quickly get through the line and we would be on our way home.  She is used to Ponca City lines; I had serious doubts....having to deal with the Houston DMVs.  When they got there at 8:00am, they were 12th in line.  Not too bad.  However, the DMV required Kyce to show proof of residence.  They had to go back to the base, get a copy of his cable bill and return to the DMV.  They were 53rd at that point.  BUT by 10:45am they were done.

In the meantime, Aunt Carole and I were loading the car.  Now we have had great weather this entire trip.  Well, the weather caught up with us on our last day.  We had been going in and out of the hotel via the back door.  Our last day was no exception.  Aunt Carole and I loaded up that luggage cart with all of our suitcases, computer, ice chest....you name it; we had it.  That cart was loaded to the top.  Well, when we went outside, it was "drizzling".  Aunt Carole suggested we go through the lobby and out the front door so we could load the car under the canopy.  Well, I thought it was only "drizzling" so thought we could quickly load the car.....the drizzle would not be a problem.  That was true until we got past the hotel.  The drizzle turned into a light rain.  Not so good.  I told Aunt Carole to go ahead and pull the car around to the front and I would pull the luggage cart around.  No easy task there.  Not to mention I had visions of 2 elderly women looking through the window at this idiot pulling a luggage cart in the rain.  I'm sure that would give them PLENTY to laugh and talk about.  I did get the luggage cart around to the front (without getting too wet) and Aunt Carole managed to figure out how to get Delma's car started and met me there.  We got the car loaded, checked out of the hotel, and were on our way to the DMV to meet Delma and Kyce. 

At 10:45am, we said goodbye to Kyce and headed home.  We had light rain for the most part, but did fight heavy winds.  Not much to report about the trip home except it seemed LONG.  When Garmin told us our next turn was 367 miles (Salina), we all knew we were in for a boring stretch of road.  We did the best we could to keep ourselves entertained.  Our only stops (for the most part) were rest stops....I caught Mom and Aunt Carole at a rest stop in Kansas.....more matching t-shirts.


Delma had mentioned the large number of electric windmills we would see, so had to take a few pictures.

 Then actually went through a dust storm....the ground was so dry the wind was blowing away the top soil in a field.

What a beautiful sign!!

 I drove the first 3 hours of the trip.  Delma took over and brought us on home.  At the rest stop on I-35 (right before the OK state line), I took over.  Per Garmin, we had 42 miles left to Peckham.  We were skirting bad weather again.  Lots of lightening in the distance.  We got to the last toll booth, and I reduced to the required speed limit of 30 MPH.....that sign was at least 1/2 mile from the toll booth.  It seemed like it took an eternity getting to the toll booth.  Delma was rocking back and forth to help us make it!!  (It seriously wasn't my driving; I was just obeying the speed limit....ridiculous as it was!).

OKLAHOMA -- yea!!  We were 1 1/2 miles from the Braman exit.  I was behind a semi (going way too slow) so I passed him.  Mom hollered a bit and thought I should have stayed behind him; I knew I had plenty of time.  Then I heard this "gasp" and heard Mom telling me the Braman exit was a "quick" turn.  I told Delma she set me up to get the last "gasp" from Mom on the trip.  We are finally on the Peckham road.  What a beautiful lightening show was going on towards Newkirk.  But that lightening didn't look as good as the Peckham lights.  We're HOME!

I wanted one more picture of the 4 of us together, but there was no one to take it.  On the last day of the our trip, I figured out how to use the "timer" on my camera.  Here's our final vacation pic!


Look at all of those smiles!!  We sat on the porch for a bit, talked to Becky on the phone, shared stories with Becky that didn't make it in the blog (some just didn't need to be written down), and were so glad to have made the trip.  It couldn't have been better.

Delma, Aunt Carole and I met Lee and Linda at Sand Springs on Tuesday.  We had lunch at Logan's, then Aunt Carole headed home.  Delma took me to Chris and  Lori's....then headed back to Ponca.  I had one more day.  I flew home to Houston on Wednesday afternoon. 

Great trip completed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment